Saturday, February 16, 2008

Outdoor Wood Stove Burns House To Ground


MAINESBURG — An outdoor wood burning stove is believed to have caused a fire Thursday morning in Sullivan Township near here that burned a home to the ground.

Mansfield Hose Company Chief Jim Welch said the fire was reported about 11 a.m. Thursday at the home of John Spencer on Windy Hill Road, a private drive off Connelly Mountain Road, about four miles from here.

About 30 firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire to find the five-bedroom, 5,300-square foot wood frame house engulfed in flames. The roof already had begun collapsing by the time the first crews arrived, he added.

Extra tankers and engines were summoned from Wellsboro, Blossburg and Daggett as well as Troy.

Welch said that, according to the homeowner, the fire started in the outdoor wood burning stove.

‘‘They said they found the fire, and by the time they got outside it was already well on its way,’’ he said. The house was a total loss, he added.

Welch said the outdoor furnace had been placed on a small deck and the previous owner had enclosed it in a small structure that was attached to the house. More from the Sun Gazette.

No comments: